Being a low-to-the-ground, solid black dog in the Deep South, I've had to come up with a few ways to keep cool myself, so check out these tips/warnings to keep cool:
- Be careful walking on hot pavement. Dogs release a lot of heat through their paws, and walking on hot pavement can quickly overheat a dog. I generally test the pavement by getting my human to walk barefoot on it first. If it's not too hot for her sensitive human feet, it's generally safe for me!
- Following in line with the wet bandana tip, you can also soak your dog's harness in water and stick it in the freezer before a walk to help keep your dog cool
- Make these quick and delicious ice pops. I especially love them in my red kong!
- Even with these tips, it can be hard to stay cool during the day, so we usually are active in the early mornings and evenings when it's less hot out side.
- Remember, NEVER leave your dog in a car during the summer, even if you crack the windows, even if you're "just running in." Check out this informative video by a vet who decided to test just how dangerous it can be.
Stay safe and cool everyone,